Friday, June 5, 2009

Easy to Grow Flowers - Petunias


If you want to attract hummingbirds to your garden, I've always had good luck whenever I plant several containers of petunias.
Petunias have a wide 'trumpet' shaped flower and just a couple of plants will spread and bloom like crazy.
I do not start my petunias from seeds, preferring instead to plant young plants that have one or two unopened blossoms, in a variety of different colors.
Petunias do best in full sun, but can handle partial shade, which might be preferrable in hotter climates.
Make sure the soil is well drained as, petunia roots do not like too much water settling around them, this will cause the plants to produce more stem and fewer flowers.
To keep your petunias blooming all summer long, you will want to pinch off the dried blooms once or twice a week.
My favorite petunia varieties include;
The Grandifloras. This particular 'variety' of petunias have been around for some time. They grow eight to twelve inches high and have four to five inch wavy-edged blossoms.
The Multiflora petunia flowers are smaller, only about two inches, but they are more prolific and hold up better against rain.
I have planted petunias in a flower bed as well as in containers. I do prefer the containers as the petunias just seem to hold up better and longer, plus I can arrange the containers in various heights, with all kinds of color variations that look great on the patio. I like to keep my petunias in an area that I can look out and see the hummingbirds.
For the best in planters and containers check out these "Popular Wall & Hanging Planters" On Sale Now! SimplyPlanters.com
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment