Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Easy to Grow Flowers - Marigolds

One of the easiest flowers to grow, from seed or starter plants, is the Marigold.
I have planted marigolds for years...often, when I had limited room, I always managed to find enough room to grow a few marigolds.


Once all danger of frost has passed, you can find a sunny spot of rich, well drained soil and work a little worm compost into the tilled soil. When the area has been prepared, spread seeds and cover them with no more than 1/4 inch of soil. Carefully water the soil and seeds daily.
When the seedlings begin to spout, thin to about 8 inches apart.
After the plants have grown and sprouted several leaves, you can place a little mulch around each plant to keep the soil from getting too dried out.
I like to space out my marigold planting, so that I can have flowers blooming well into the fall.
As the blossoms begin to dry up, I pluck the dried blooms and place them into a paper bag (to finish drying). The dried blooms are filled with seeds that I then use for the next year's plantings. Roll the dried bloom between your thumb and fingers, to separate the seeds when planting.

Add a decorative touch to your garden with fountains, garden gnomes, garden stones and much more from OnlineDiscountMart.com!

If you decide you would prefer to plant a small space marigold container garden,Simply Planters have over 250 Styles Of Garden Planters! Most Items Ship Free!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment